HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Chris Ricciardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 07:02:37 -0400
Hi all,

    This is my first post to the list even though I've been a member for
sometime now.

     I've got to tell you all out there that I am starting to get really
scared about the field that I have chosen to go into.  I am finishing up my
Masters in Historical Archaeology right now and am off to a Ph.D. program
(also for Historical Archaeology) in the fall.  However, with all the talk
lately, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

     After listening for two years of theory classes and all the bickering
and "in-fighting" as to what Archaeology really is on this and other relevant
list,  I'm beginning to wonder if  many Archaeologists out there really care
about  the "field" of Archaeology.  From this graduate students humble point
of view it seems that many don't. They're either too busy "fighting" back and
forth over what their theoretical position is, what type of Archaeology they
practice or why CRM is not as valid as academic archaeology (from the
academic point of view not mine).

     What happened to doing Archaeology for the benefit of human-kind?  Does
anyone out there remember human beings?  After all, is not the major goal of
Archaeology to try, as best as we can, to add new data to the picture of what
has happened in the past of human beings?  Does it matter if it's from an
academic, contractual, prehistoric, proto historic or historic point of view?

      In this day and age where money is being cut from schools, tenured
 professors are in jeopardy of losing their jobs, the Republican Congress want
s to trim away money and laws that protect the past of this country, and to
top it off, a growing disrespect for our field from many in the general
public and academia itself, isn't it about time we (meaning everyone who calls
 themselves an Archaeologist) stop all the infighting and do the things
necessary to make our profession survive and make a difference?

     As someone who has not had a lot of experience in the political field of
Archaeology (so I know many of you will probably nail me as being, "just a
student who doesn't know anything"), from the outside point of view, the
field of Archaeology is beginning to look disorganized.  To coin a really
stupid phrase, "Can't we all just  get along?"  It's about time we all do.
 Stop the bickering and let's unite to do the things to save our profession
and bring a little respect and  class to it.

     Thanks,
     Chris.

P.S.  I capitalized "Archaeology" all the time for effect.  I know its not
        always supposed to be that way.