HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Laird Niven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 18:13:09 +0000
I'm passing this query along for Paul Williams, President of the Nova
Scotia Archaeology society:

        We have been carrying out an excavation just outside of Halifax,
Nova Scotia, on an English Barracks constructed in 1795 (for two
companies of the Regiment of Foot, Royal Fusiliers). The barracks
were later (c.1800) converted into an inn which remained in operation
until it burned down in 1833.

        Among the usual artifacts one would expect from a site of this date,
we found a large number of 'cast-iron' nails - 463 to be exact. these
nails are pretty well uniform in size (i.e. 27mm in length) and were
found in association with a plaster and mortar layer.

        To date we have found only a few references to 'cast-iron' nails
being found during excavation. These sites all appear to be in the
Maritimes and n.e. U.S. Moreover, excavations have only yielded a few
example from each site.

        Has anyone out there come across these little devils? If so, any
information and/or references would be greatly appreciated. Other
info on the site is available for anyone who is intereste.

                Paul Williams
                President, Nova Scotia Archaeology Society