HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ben Mangan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:07:00 CST
Some of you wondered whether BLM changes would impact educational
programs. I write to the list today to predict an end to more than
just educational programs if BLM lands are turned over to the States.
I'm sure many of you have already seen this, but transferring control
of BLM lands from the Federal to State governments seems to be a
thinly veiled way to pander to corporate and business communities.
BLM lands controlled by the state will be far easier to develop -
and I imagine that land development lobbyists are all for this
transfer.
Let's all make sure we make some noise over this, for fear that there
is a great deal at stake in the long run.
Ben Mangan
International House of Chicago
University of Chicago