From:
Heather Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 16:02:36 -0400
The first varroa mite in Canada was found in Centreville New Brunswick, less
than one kilometre from the U.S. border. In a survey of 1250 colonies two
mites were found on one board in an apiary of 7 colonies. Following this
first find, a further 300 colonies in an area of 24 km radius were tested
for the mite in spring 1990 and 12 more colonies in 2 apiaries tested
positive. The National Varroa Action Plan was followed and all colonies in
the positive apiaries were immediately depopulated with Agriculture Canada
compensating the beekeepers at a rate of $60 per colony for the loss.

Heather Clay
N.B. Provincial Apiarist
Dept of Agriculture
PO Box 6000