From:
"MORGAN, ANTHONY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 14:38:08 GMT+0100
Hei,

just to add my two pennyworth, I had vague memories of liquid
paraffin from my childhood (not good memories) so I looked it up to
check out what it is.

Liquid paraffin is a liquid form of petroleum jelly (petrolatum) and
if taken internally is mildly laxative (that is what I remembered!).
It is thickish, oily, transparent and supposedly tasteless (but dont
bet on it!) I vaguely remember that when I was a kid we used it as a
dandruff remedy as well as a laxative, or was that something else?

Paraffin (oil) is kerosene.

Paraffin wax is a white wax derivative of petroleum although it is
sythesised as well. Used for candles, polishes, cosmetics, waxed
paper and waxed cloth.

Paraffins are saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula
 C(n)H(2n+2) according to my source.

If one needs an oily base for a cream or lotion why not use olive oil
for example?
Anthony N. Morgan (Tony)                 Fax: +47 73 89 62 86
"Stavshagen"                          E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Midtsandan                               Sor-Trondelag College
7563 MALVIK                              Elec. Eng. Department
Norway                                   7005 TRONDHEIM, Norway