From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 14:41:36 +0100
This year I requeened my colonies with (what purport to be) native
British black queens (A. m. mellifera).  There's been quite a lot of
discussion going in the UK recently about the merits of native bees.
I seem to remember the topic has appeared once or twice on bee-l too.
To summarise: one may not achieve such high yields in good years but
should, on balance, do better in what would otherwise have been bad
years because the bees have evolved in our climate and will respond
more appropriately to changes in the weather.  Overwintering success
should improve too.  Anyway, I find the arguments plausible and thought
I'd give black bees a try.

There's been enough time for the hive populations to be completely
replaced by now.  I can't draw many conclusions so far but one thing is
very noticeable: they're much more defensive than the mongrels I had
before.  There's always trouble with wasps (yellow jackets for you N.
Americans) at this time of year and up to now I've been accustomed to
finding a number in all the hives whenever I open them up.  However,
that's all changed.  The scene ouside each of the hive entrances was
like a battlefield - strewn with the bodies of dead wasps.  Those still
trying to get in were being repulsed with great efficiency.

One might expect from this that they'd be rather unpleasant to work.
Far from it.  If anything they're better than my previous bees.  Last
weekend, for the first time, there was a slight tendency for them to
become a bit touchy towards the end of each hive inspection but that's
not suprising.  The main flow is over and, with the drought we have at
present, nothing at all is coming in.  I'll be interested to see what
happens next year.

--
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000