From:
David Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 19:52:08 -0400
[The following message will be sent to the beekeeping journals.  However, it
is very important that an immediate, written, response be made regarding the
following.  Please give give a copy of this mail to any club and association
leader who is not a subscriber to BEE-L.  Also notify Scout leaders and Boy
Scouts who have, or are working on Beekeeping Merit Badge.]

Today, August 21, I called the national headquarters for the Boy Scouts of
America and confirmed that BEEKEEPING MERIT BADGE will be discontinued on
September 1, 1995.  Any Boy Scout who has begun the merit badge before that
day has until his 18th birthday to complete it.  There is a possibility of
reversing this decision.  Write a letter to:

Mr. John Dalrymple, Director, Advancement/NESA
Boy Scouts of America
PO Box 152079
IRVING TX 75015-2079

Mr. Dalrymple was not in when I called so I cannot tell you much regarding
the criteria used in selecting Beekeeping MB for cancellation.  When I find
out, I will post it.

To all beekeepers, all association leaders, scouts who earned or are earning
Beekeeping MB, and to the Scout leaders of those scouts,  I urge you to
write, explaining the value of this merit badge to you, what you are doing to
help scouts achieve this MB and what you will do to keep it going.

In the October, 1994, Bee Culture, Dr. Dewey Caron described the Delaware
Beekeepers Association program to train Scouts in Beekeeping MB.  Maryland
State Beekeepers Assoc followed in their footsteps this year.  ANY BEEKEEPING
ASSOCIATION CAN DO THE SAME!  You do not have to be big, or rich, or
state-wide.  If you offer a short or beginner's beekeeping course then you
have what you need to teach the merit badge.  This is what you need to do.

    Register as a beekeeping merit badge conselor with your local BSA
Council.
    Go to the "Roundtable" meeting for the District(s) you can best work with
and announce your program and invite the Scouts.
    Keep the cost down.
    Follow-up after the class by working with the Scouts to finish the
requirements.
    The merit badge book does not specify that the Scout has to keep the bees
himself.

All this is moot if we cannot reverse this fatal decision.  We must reverse
this decision.  Getting Scouts involved in beekeeping is one way of increase
your membership by getting Scouts (and their parents) interested in
beekeeping.  Follow up on any scout who expresses interest in beekeeping.
 Help them along.  A Scout might take this up as a hobby now, or later as an
adult. Maryland's own extension apiculturist, Dr. Gordon Allen-Wardell,
started with Beekeeping MB at age 14.  He got Dr. George Ayers interested in
bees and their forage plants.  The ripples can go a long way.

Girl Scouts can also qualify for Beekeeping merit badge as long as the Boy
Scouts offer it.  The Girl Scouts do not offer their own Beekeeping
achievement badge, and when they do not offer an equivalent badge, they can
work on the Boy Scout badge.  Include them; don't overlook them.

Again, don't hesitate.  Pledge to hold a Beekeeping MB program next Spring.
 Write to Mr.
Dalrymple and inform the BSA in Texas that you WILL do so.  Let them know how
important this is to us AND TO SCOUTING!

LET'S NOT LOSE THIS, TOO!

Sincerely yours,
David Morris, President
Maryland State Beekeepers Assoc.