From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 18:19:43 -0600
On Tue, 18 Jul 1995, Hans-Ulrich THOMAS wrote:

> >Do any others have allergy tales? What did you do about the allergy
> >- were you able to get rid of it?

Frankly, I like the snake bite theory.

I'm allergic to bees and I run 1500+ hives.  However the stings don't
affect me, just the bees.  So I try not to roll in them.

My son got sensitive when he was small. He's out right now pulling (I
hope) a couple of hundred supers of honey.

I remember driving him to the hospital and sitting outside to see if it
got bad enuff to take him in.  It didn't - quite.

He was stubborn kid (come to think of it he hasn't changed) and he
insisted in walking around barefoot in the honey house and of course he
got a few nicks in his feet from the bees he walked on and lo and behold
he got over it.

A beekeeper friend had a son who got very sensitive and took treatment.  I
think he is extracting in the family honey house right now.

Many doctors (it seems to me) don't know what a real bee-sting allergy is.
A lot think that swelling (normal) is a sign of the end.  I had a bunch of
my extractor ops diagnosed as 'allergic' by some twit who didn't know that
swelling is a normal reaction :(

Anything that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka