Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jean-Marie Van Dyck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 10:02:19 +0100
On Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:13:39 -0600  Jerry J Bromenshenk asked:

> We are trying to find a way to provide sterile syrup to bees in indoor
> flight chambers.  The quickest, cheapest, and easiest way is to use
> dextrose (glucose) in IV bags (if we use outdated solution, we will have
> a plentiful supply of "free" syrup.

> Question, can anyone comment on the nutritional tradeoffs of using a pure
> dextrose solution rather than a sugar complex?

> Thanks

Bonjour !

At the 1st analysis, the only problem is the poor solubility of
glucose.  At room temperature, a 50 % solution is saturated and will
rapidly crystallize if some initiator is present (why not?).

Seems it's no problem in running conditions provided the bees are
disposing of water to dissolve the possible crystals.  Impossible to
winter: they only get blocks of sugar.

Hope this helps !

Jean-Marie <[log in to unmask]>