From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 15:54:21 -0500
>i understand that laws need to be applied to protect the consumer from
>contamination, but aren't we hobbyist bee keepers the ones who usually
>find the answer to difficult problems thru observation and experimentation?
>
>my purpose of this email is not to complain about the laws, but to
>encourage others to continue to disseminate information about what they
>have found to work so that others can use and modify until we finally
>have a solution to the mite problem.

Right On!! But even when we have proven methods that really work, the
attitude seems to be, ignore it. In particular I refer to the Formic Acid
furore just recently. Here in Ontario extensive work has been done on Formic
Acid against mites, both on the delivery, and the effectiveness, it works!
Add to this the work done on T-mite resistant Queens, and our breeding program.
       Why then do a number of our Southern cousins either reject the
findings, or worse still want to start back at square one? Why can't we
accept findings, especially from respected members of our fraternity, and go
on from there? What a complete and utter waste of time, no wonder it takes
us so long to get things moving!! The Europeans have had T-mite and Varroa
far longer, and seem to have a good handle on preventative methods of
control, why not use that information and where possible expand on it?
        My appeal, lets quit the in-fighting and work together for the
common good, T-mite and Varroa are no respectors of inter-national
boundaries.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *