From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 15:54:26 -0500
>1. Reduce the hive entrance and fill it with some green grass. Not too
>tight, it will dry out a bit and the bees will remove it in a few hours.
> This tends to create a small space for the new bees to guard and also
>create difficulty for bees to leave or robber bees to enter.

But equally as important is to confuse the field bees, to prevent them
zinging off without noting where they live. We do this every time we make a
nuc or move a hive, even over a few feet. Try it, it works.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *