HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Gaither <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 16:28:59 -0500
Hello,
    Since we are on the subject of guns.... and now that you mention it. I am
researching a gun found on a wreck that dates to somewhere around 1810. It is
a Spanish miquelet with an "R" on the thumb plate. It has no other visible
maker's marks. Does anyone have any ideas on makers or area of manufacture?
It has been suggested that it was made in Ripoll and that is what the R
stands for. I have consulted Lavin's "History of Spanish Firearms" which goes
into great detail about the makers of Royal arms, but provides very little
information about the more common makers as there is apparently very little
information available. If anyone knows of any other sources or has any ideas
about this gun, I would appreciate any information you could give me. Thanks
in advance, Cathy