HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Judy Bense <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 10:08:55 CDT
Concerned Colleagues:

As most of you are aware, ARCHAEOLOGY AND HISTORIC PRESERVATION IN THE U.S.
IS CHANGING.  Federal involvement (funding and staffing) in our discipline,
along with many others, is being questioned by the newly restructured
Congress.  The Society for American Archaeology (SAA) and the Society for
Historical Archaeology (SHA) are becoming increasingly active on the Hill so
that the new decision-makers are aware of the historic preservation process
in this country and the value of archaeological resources to the public and
science.  From our experience with Republican Congressmen and Senators and
their staffs on the Hill during the last few months, it is clear that
several key issues must be clarified to them and that a new coalition of
support in Congress for federal archaeology must be built.

The leadership of the SAA and SHA need to hear the opinions of
professionals, amateurs and students of archaeology and historic
preservation on the issues under discussion on the Hill concerning historic
resources and their management. In this way, we can formulate a unified
response of clear and concise answers to the questions of the
decision-makers.  A "Position Paper" is being developed on the role of the
federal government in archaeology by SAA President Bill Lipe, SHA President
Donna Siefert, SAA Government Affairs Chair Judy Bense, and SHA Government
Affairs Chair Bonnie McEwan.  Each of us is gathering information for the
position paper, and my responsibity is to ask the audience on the email
Listservers and InternetDiscussion Groups for input.  I will gather and
analyze this information for use in the position paper.

These questions are being asked by Republicans and their staffs, and we must
come up with answers they can understand.   It is apparent to those of us
involved in federal government affairs that FEDERAL ARCHAEOLOGY AND THE
HISTORIC PRESERVATION PROCESS IS GOING TO CHANGE.   The National Historic
Preservation Act is scheduled for reauthorization this fall, and it appears
that the Advisory Council will be dismantled.  This is a strong indicator
that NHPA will be changed, especially in Section 106.  We must be ready deal
with this situation, and an important step in the process is to develop a
unified statement about the role of federal archaeology.

Please send your thoughts, opinions. and responses to my email address
([log in to unmask]) as well as post them to the Listserver on which you
found this message.  We would like to stimulate discussion on this topic for
all our benefit.   The position paper must be done by the end of July,
before the August recess.  I will be happy to bundle the responses and pass
them around when we are done.  I also will post the Position Paper on
Federal Archaeology when it is completed.  We thank you in advance for your
time and consideration.

Feel free to copy this request and pass it around your business, department,
or society.  If someone does not have email capabilities, they can fax of
snail mail me their information:

Prossor Judy Bense                              FAX:  904-474-3033
Department of Sociology and Anthropology        Voice:  904-474-3015/3021
University of West Florida
11,000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL. 32514

 QUESTIONS WE NEED TO ANSWER:

1. Why should the federal government be involved in archaeology and historic
preservation?

2. Why can't the states manage all of government archaeology and historic
presesrvation?

3. How can Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and/or its
regulations be changed to be more acceptable to the public and new
Congressional leadership?
Judy Bense