HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katie Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:26:49 -0600
Announcing "Ireland Before the Famine" Field School 1997

This field school will center on a tenant village associated with the
Strokestown Park House, a landed estate in County Roscommon, Ireland.
During July 1997, students will excavate a mud-cabin village site whose
inhabitants were evicted from their homes in "Black '47", the height of
the Great Famine.  Research is conducted in cooperation with the National
Famine Museum, the Office of Public Works, and other Irish and American
organizations.  Next summer will mark the fourth year of research, and the
second year we have offered this project as a field school.

We always have a great time on these projects... how can you not when you
have all that Guinness around!!! The research is rewarding and
interesting, and the personal experiences we have with the people of
Strokestown makes the time away from the site as interesting as the dig
itself.

If you, your colleagues, or your students are interested in this
opportunity, please see the WWW for the research pages and the field
school page at the following addresses:

Research pages: <http://www.missouri.edu/~c645151/histarch.htm>

Field School Info <http://www.missouri.edu/~c645151/fldschl.htm>

If you have any other questions or are not able to access the WWW, please
e-mail me at <[log in to unmask]>.

Thank you for your time,
Katherine L. Hull
Assistant Director, Ireland Before the Famine

Katherine L. Hull                       Historical Archaeology
University of Missouri-Columbia         [log in to unmask]
Department of Anthropology              [log in to unmask]