HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Larry Mckee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:50:52 -0500
   Sorry that this has nothing to do with HA and its many facets, but this
has been bugging me since I  started in on this email deal two years ago.

   If somebody sends me a letter, email or by traditional post, it has my
name on it, thus it becomes my personal possession, a "gift" from the sender,
and the sender should know and realize he or she has no more control it.   I
can sell it, I can publish it, I can share it with whoever.  It seems to me
anyone who has dealt with documents from the past should realize this - most
of us have worked on collections where we have lots of letters to a person,
but not his or her own return correspondence - that became the possession of
someone else.   The point: be careful what you send to someone else if you
don't want others to share in your gift.

    And I don't care what some netiquette guide written a couple of years ago
says - this practice has long precedent with direct, unambiguous correlation
to electronic media.

    And if you don't want to read about sites from times and places you
aren't interested in, just hit the delete button - I do.

                            Best,
                              Larry McKee