HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
steve cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:31:32 -0400
At 15:27 21.10.1996 -0700, you wrote:
>Can anyone help Kenneth? Karlis, are you listening? ;-)
>

>>Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:53:23 -0700
>>Sender: Archaeology List <[log in to unmask]>
>>From: Kenneth Ames <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject:      Copper beads
>>To: Multiple recipients of list ARCH-L <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>I have a graduate student doing a thesis on the rolled copper beads
>>recovered from two sites spanning a period from ca. AD 1400 - 1830. I
>>have never come across a classification system for such beads (based on
>>either form or manufacturing techniques).

I am not aware of any systematic classification, it seems that most reports
use interal systems.  I may be stating the obvious here but you should make
sure that the beads are copper (based on your dates).  Some beads may be
native copper, or re-used brass scrap from kettles and such or lastly they
may be european beads (usually cast or brazed) made for trade.  Each of
these will have very different contexts and interpretations.  Any way, goodluck.