HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
steve cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 12:47:28 -0400
        In keeping with the masonry theme, I have a question concerning the
construction of laid fieldstone chimneys.  We are currently excavating a
late 18th-century domestic structure in southern Connecticut and have come
across
what we believe may be a fieldstone chimney characterized by a 2 m. wide
hearth. I say believe to be a fieldstone chimney because the site itself is
located in a truly extraordinary boulder field which compounds the problem
of distinguishing possible chimney stones from all of the other stone lying
about the area.  No flue has been recovered and there is no evidence of
mortar.  If anyone has any information on the construction of this type of
chimney, what we should expect to see in the ground archaeologically, or any
relevant references, I would appreciate the help immensely.

                                                        Kristen Heitert