HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Loretta Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 16:36:22 GMT
                ***ALERT***
From: [log in to unmask]

CONGRESS & WHITE HOUSE NEGOTIATE NEW FUNDING BILLS
HELP NEEDED TO INCLUDE AUTHORIZATION FOR THE
ADVISORY COUNCIL ON HISTORIC PRESERVATION

        In a highly unusual move, Congress is likely to approve a bill in the next
few days that would combine several appropriations bills with other measures
to authorize new programs.  The whole thing could get packaged into the
Defense Department's appropriations.

        Among the non-Defense appropriations likely to be added to the package is
the Interior Appropriations bill -- which funds not only the Interior
Department but also
related agencies such as the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation and
the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities.

        Among the non-appropriations measures that may be included are sections of
the former Presidio/Omnibus Lands bill -- most particularly, the Presidio
Trust (the original bill, relating to the Golden Gate National Recreation
Area in San Francisco), Sterling Forest land acquisition and Heritage Areas

        We have learned that the reauthorization of the Advisory Council on Historic
Preservation is NOT included in the package.

        Calls are needed now to your representatives in Congress, both in the House
and Senate. You can reach them through the Capitol Switchboard, 224-3121.
Ask to speak with the Member of Congress and, if he or she is not available,
with the staff person who handles appropriations bills.
        It's a simple message:

        "I understand that the Congress and the White House are negotiating on a new
bill that would combine a number of appropriation bills -- including the one
for the Interior Department. It would also include sections from the draft
Presidio/Omnibus lands bill.
         Please do what you can to see that the bill includes the reauthorization of
the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.  It was included in the draft
Presidio/lands bill, and has bipartisan support. The draft Presidio/lands
bill authorized $4 million a year through the year 2000.  Bills introduced
earlier this year by Senator Murkowski and Representative Hanson would fund
it at $5 million through the year 2002.  I feel that the new version in the
Presidio/lands bill is a reasonable compromise.
        The Council has a key role in the national historic preservation program.
Its major function is to review the effects of federal undertakings on
historic properties.  The work is important and not duplicated by any other
agency. [Cite a specific project involving Section 106 and the Council that
you know about, if available.]
        I hope you will urge the appropriations committees and the White House to
include the Council's reauthorization in the final omnibus appropriations
bill.
        Thank you."

        Obviously, you can tailor this to your own style. The important thing is to
act NOW. You can also fax a similar message to the White House, at
202-456-2461.

        Please send me a private e-mail message back with the results of your
efforts.  It can help us know what else to do in the next few days.

                                ###