HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Niquette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 11:15:50 -0400
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   [log in to unmask] (Loretta Neumann)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask] (Multiple recipients of list)
Date: 96-07-03 19:15:44 EDT

To:     American Cultural Resources Association, ACRA-L and Interested Others
From:   Loretta Neumann
Re:     Update on Interior Appropriations

        I thought it would be timely, with Congress out of session for the
Independence Day Recess, to report on what's happening with the Interior
Appropriations. Members of  ACRA (both corporate and, as of today, associate
members) receive our weekly, on-line news updates.  This memo expands upon
just one part.   Next week I'll do an update on legislation to reauthorize
the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.

        Essentially, we don't yet know when the Senate Interior Appropriations
Subcommittee will take up consideration of the fiscal 1997 bill.  It passed
the House June 20.   We have made repeated calls to subcommittee staff  and
friends who work for Senators who are members of the subcommittee. They all
say much the same, that the subcommittee hopes to begin working on the bill
soon after the recess (both the House and the Senate are scheduled to return
this coming Monday, July 8, although no votes are set for that day.)
        ACRA has consistently supported the Historic Preservation Fund,  Advisory
Council on Historic Preservation, and other cultural resources programs in
the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Forest Service, NRCS
and similar programs. However, the one that's the most vulnerable is the
Advisory Council. The House included $2.5 million in the bill.  It is
essential that the Senate agree to this amount, hopefully even more.

        ACTION NEEDED: If you have not done so, now is the time to contact your
Senators to support the highest level of funding possible for the historic
preservation and cultural resources programs.  This is especially important
if your Senator(s) are on the Appropriations  Committee (see list that
follows). Explain why you care about these programs.  In particular, note
that the House bill contains $2.5 million for the Advisory Council.  Urge
Senators to support at least that level, and more if they can.
        Members of the Senate Interior Appropriations Subcommittee are:

        Majority (Republicans):
                Subcommittee Chairman Slade Gorton, WA
                Ted Stevens, AK
                Thad Cochran, MS;
                Pete Domenici, NM
                Mark Hatfield, OR
                Conrad Burns, MT
                Robert Bennett, UT
                Connie Mack, FL
        Minority (Democrats):
                Ranking Democrat Robert Byrd, WV
                J. Bennett Johnston, LA
                Patrick Leahy, VT
                Dale Bumpers, AR
                Ernest  Hollings, SC
                Harry Reid, NV
                Patty Murray, WA

        You can write to them at the United States Senate, Washington DC 20510 (no
room numbers needed). Or phone through the Capitol switchboard, 202-224-3121.
 If phoning, wait till next week when the Senators and their staff are more
likely to be available.   When calling, first ask for your Senator by name.
Explain that you are a constituent.  Since most Senators are very busy and
likely not to be available, ask to talk to the person who handles the
Interior Appropriations bill for the Senator. This is an extremely important
person to get to know.  Explain why you are calling and ask what he or she
thinks the Senator's position will be on the matter.  It's important to try
pin them down although they, in turn, may try to wiggle their way out of a
specific answer.  Be polite but be persistent. Follow up with a note thanking
the person.  Next time you call, ask for him or her again, by name. Soon
you'll be on a friendly basis, and the person may be more forthcoming.
        Last but not least, please e-mail me any information you learn from your
letters and calls. It helps us to know who our friends are as well as our
potential foes.
        Thanks!