HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:48:31 -0500
In a message dated 96-01-25 12:24:10 EST,
[log in to unmask] (Homer Thiel) writes:

>Does anyone know of any published accounts of excavations at
>turn-of-the-century
> gas and/or electric light works? I am working on a project in Phoenix,
>Arizona
>and we have uncovered a portion of the Phoenix Illuminating Gas & Electric
>Light
> Works. Would like to have something to compare our find to.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Homer Thiel

Yes, Statistical Research in Tucson did some work on a plant in southern
California.  You might give them a call.  Though not an excavation, a
thorough HABS/HAER documentation was completed for the Army Corps of
Engineers, Los Angeles District and published as "The Santa Ana River
Hydroelectric System" by Mark T. Swanson and David deVries, Statistical
Research Technical Series No. 47.  Tucson.

Our company has also undertaken several detailed investigations of early 20th
Century hydroelectric facilities in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, but no
excavations.  Contact me if you are interested in information.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Archaeological Consultants, L.L.C.
(801) 394-0013
SAGE [log in to unmask]