HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:48:07 -0500
To my cistern and bretheren in archaeology:

(Sorry, I can't resist puns, but no need to tank me.)

In the course of my dissertation work (rustic
architecture) I browse a number of agricultural journals.
I'm not exceedingly systematic about this, but I sometimes
photocopy (or take citations on) material of interest,
such as vernacular architecture and items which relate to
agricultural landscapes and the built environment.  Under
"cisterns" I have the following items:

"Cisterns."  _American Agriculturist_ 5, No. 1 (January,
1846) 10.

   Excerpt:  "Where they [farmers] have compact clay land,
no further preparation is necessary for ordinary use for
stock, than to excavate to a suficient size; and to keep
up the banks on every side, place two frames of single
joice [sic] around it near the top and bottom, between
which and the banks, heavy boards or plank may be set in
an upright position, reaching from top to bottom.  the
earth keeps them in place on one side, and the joice
prevents them from falling in."  [The author comments that
stone or brick cisterns, as well as some system of
filtration, are preferred; the indication being that the
wooden model is fine for stock, but not human consumption.]

"Cisterns for Farm Buildings."  _American Agriculturist_
6, No. 8 (August, 1847) 239.

   Excerpt:  "The most convenient and durable mode of
constructing a cistern, is, to make it of a circular form,
under ground, with the bottom and sides lined with stone
or bricks laid in hydraulic cement; and in many cases
mortar may be plastered directly on the sides of the pit
without the aid of bricks or stone.  A cistern, eight feet
in diameter and nine feet deep, will hold about one
hundred barrels, and will require three thousand four
hundred bricks to face its sides."  [Discusses the
relative purity of water from a variety of sources, and
describes how to make a suitable cement if it's not
available commercially.]

"Cisterns, and How to Make Them."  _The American Farmer_
12, No. 4, ser. 4 (October, 1856) 127.

**  Excerpt:  "Good cisterns of moderate size can be made
easily from inch and a half plank, well jointed together,
hooped like a barrel, overlaying the bottom with coatings
of the cement until it is water-tight.  Where the soil is
loose, and the plank would be liable to leakage, a coating
of the mortar if rightly put on, will render the cistern
thoroughly tight."  . . .  "It is estimated that a barn
thirty by forty feet supplies annually from its roof 864
barrels, or enough for more than two barrels a day
yearly.  If, however, this water was collected, and kept
for the dry season only, 20 or 30 barrels daily might be
used.  A cistern 10 feet in diameter, 9 feet deep, will
hold 168 barrels.  That is a very good size to make barn
cisterns."  [Mentions brick cisterns first ("where bricks
are to be had") and how to make mortar.  Also mentions
dividing cisterns for filters, and capacities of smaller
size containers.}

"Cisterns." _The American Farmer_ 12, No. 5, ser.4
(November, 1856) 134.

   [Takes issue with the previous article arguing that
"brick cisterns are expensive; wooden ones are too
perishable and temporary."  Recommends one of concrete
(cement and aggregate) 8' diameter, 10' deep.  Also
describes a filtering system "if drinking water is
desired."  Signed Jno. F. H., Shepherd's Town, Jefferson
County, Virginia.]

"Farm Cistern."  _The Country Gentleman_ 12, No. 12, whole
no. 298 (September 23, 1858) 185.

   [Describes another barn cistern--to provide water for
the domestic animals.  Barn dimensions and rainfall
statistics to calculate volume of water to be collected.
The cistern is domical, or bell shaped, of stone and
measuring 14' diameter, 12' deep.  It is of note that the
author commented on a clash with local vernacular
technology:  "An ignorant stone-mason whom we once
employed to construct a small cistern of this character,
stoutly refused to contract the walls, asserting
positively that they would immediately tumble in if thus
made to lean, apparently knowing nothing of the security
of the arch, which this would possess on every side."]

"Cheap Filtering Cistern."  Thomas, J.J.  _Illustrated
Annual Register of Rural Affairs, for 1870-1-2_.  vol. 6.
(Albany, NY:  Luther Tucker & Son, 1872) 150-151.

   [Filter in a stone cistern which consists solely of a
brick vault through which the water percolates.]

My apologies for the length and I hope this is of some
use.  (Drop me a line if you can't get photocopies of
these in your area.)

Marty Perdue