From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:57:22 -0500
On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Roy Nettlebeck wrote:

> beekeepers can follow. I wish someone would tell me  what traits all of
> the breeders are following. We don't even have a list , except , maybe
> calm and that they produce honey. Sue Cobey is working with some breeders
> like a co-op right now.She told me that she has been preaching for 15
> years to get breeding programs going.

        And she is right. It seems to me that other than her New World program
U.S. breeders are not using the latest tools. Anyone out there who is
interested in breeding for disease resistance or any other trait should
read all they can about "Closed population Breeding". The new "Hive and
the Honeybee" edition has an excellent section on this. Reprints of ABJ
or Gleanings articles are available. Look for stuff by Sue Coby or Dr.
Rob Page. I think this is essential reading for all who wish to discuss
controlling diseases through breeding.

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b