HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:00:55 -0500
On the idea of coordinating SHA's annual meeting with some history
meeting  - it is a bad idea. We had one such monster-meeting (1989 in
Baltimore) with the AIA and some smaller groups. It did not work. The AHA
and the OAH (I belong to both groups, which is rare for an archaeologist
- I check the membership lists) have hugh meetings. We would be lost and
would alsohave major problems with hotel space etc. I personally like the
idea of the Western History Association, which I belong to and have
attended their meetings, which would ideal for me. Their meetings are
excellent and it is shocking how few historical archaeologists who study
the West belong to the WHA. It is, however, still a bad idea. SHA must
meet on its own and solve its own problems. Attempts at coordination will
only increase the problems, no matter how convenient it would be for some
of us.