HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 16:09:03 EST
     Re The Titanic

     As in the U.S., an archaeological site here in Canada is defined as
     being at least 50 years old so the Titanic fits that definition.
     Where the problem comes in is that, by international convention, the
     Titanic was designated an international cemetery and, therefore, off
     limits to any kind of archaeological or salvage operations.
     Obviously, there are a few people out there that have no respect for a
     cemetery, preferring to salvage artifacts and parts of the ship for
     "scientific" purposes.  As far as I am concerned, doing more than
     photographing the wreck of the Titanic is tantamount to a group of
     people entering Arlington Cemetery and beginning to remove some of the
     headstones and retrieving coffin components for "analysis."  Respect
     for the dead in the case of the Titanic, in my opinion, far outweighs
     any "scientific" data that may be salvaged from the wreck (such as the
     effects of seawater on metal, the excuse for salvaging pieces of the
     hull).

     Karlis Karklins
     Sr. Material Culture Researcher
     Parks Canada