HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
David Meadows <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 11:05:59 -0400
In thie interests of getting the list back to archaeological topics, for
those who are unaware of some basic principles of netiquette (as it is
referred to) and who think the  Chronicle of Higher Education's limited
circulation discounts it as authoritive, allow me to direct you to an
online source ... one in cyberspace and so has a `circulation' in the
hundreds of millions; we'll use the gopher method:

1. find gopher jewels in your local provider's menu

Choose `Internet and Computer Related Resources'
Choose `Internet Cyperspace related'
Choose `Internet Documents -- Wheaton College'
Choose `Internet Documents and Helps'

Once you're there, you can read a couple of things:

`Ethics and the Internet'

and

`Internet Etiquette Sample'

The latter is a guide written by A. Rinaldi which I first read about
three years ago somewhere else. It has been distributed all over the
place and is filed in various locales. There is enough in those two
documents to justify filtering any individual who is distracting an email
list from its purpose.

Once you are done that, you can go check out the Electronic Frontier
Foundation's files relating to legal matters; you can, in various
articles there see what a gray area the internet currently is in terms of
freedom of speech and/or libel/slander and whatever. As such, it comes
down to a judgement call on the part of the listowner.

Now let's talk about archaeology darn it!
David Meadows                   [log in to unmask] .
Department of Classics          [log in to unmask]    .
McMaster University                                             .
Hamilton, Ontario               Libertas inaestimabilis res est .
CANADA                                                          .