From:
"Conrad A. Berube" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 06:36:32 -0800
>    To draw the analogy to wasps is adding to the confusion.  Perhaps on an
>    individual basis AHB and yellowjackets are comparable in some of their
>    behavior, but surely AHB feral colonies or managed AHB colonies pose a
>    genuine risk when in close proximity to human activity and habitation.

Of course the analogy only goes so far-- wasp colony size is often quite
small compared to managed hives (although AHB feral colonies can be of a
size comparable to a season's-end V. germanica nest).  One _can_ keep AHB
colonies (a few at least) outside the back door (seen plenty of beekeepers
who do-- although I always advised against it).

>think "we" (within the beekeeping fraternity)...

>    (For those who saw it, it was remarkable that among some of the accurate
>    information, bees were prescribed the male gender.  It floored me that
>    producers who obviously put in a great deal of effort and money allowed some
>    bozo to describe a killer bee as a 'mean bug leaving HIS stinger behind!).

Likewise, there's plenty of womenfolk in the "personernity" of
beekeepers ;-)  Oops, I just got my cut off warning.  I'll get back to you
later, Paul.

I agree that we must continue to educate the public-- maybe the first
thing to do would be to wean ourselves from the term "killer bee".
Nontheless, I stand by my original statement that the issue is basically a
beekeeping issue.

        -              Conrad Berube
       "  `            ISLAND CROP MANAGEMENT
       "   `           1326 Franklin Terrace
   _- -_`-_|'\  /`     Victoria, B.C.
  \_\ _ /\-._/\/       (604)480-0223; fax (604)656-8922
       /   | |         email: [log in to unmask]
      '`   ^ ^