From:
Doug Yanega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 10:00:28 -0600
>From: "John Gates"@mr.gov.bc.ca
>I will soon be participating in a workshop for Saskatoon growers (Amelanchier
>alnifolia). Closely related to the apple, hawthorn and mountain ash, it
>produces
>a multiseeded fruit similar in appearance to a blueberry. It also goes by the
>common names of serviceberry, shadbush and juneberry. If any of you liners out
>there have or know about any research or extension material regarding
>pollination of saskatoons I would much appreciate it.

The bee species recorded from Amelanchier spp. in North America are mostly
Andrena, which tend to have fairly narrow preferences, with numerous
polylectic halictids thrown in. The list, doubtless *very* incomplete*,
includes 55 species as follows (but doesn't distinguish between true
pollinators and floral visitors):
ANDRENIDAE
Andrena (A.) mandibularis
A. (Larandrena) miserabilis
A. (Leucandrena) erythronii
A. (Leucandrena) p. placida
A. (Micrandrena) illinoiensis
A. (Micrandrena) salictaria
A. (Opandrena) c. cressonii
A. (Parandrena) andrenoides
A. (Parandrena) nida
A. (Plastandrena) crataegi
A. (Scrapteropsis) alleghaniensis
A. (Scrapteropsis) fenningeri
A. (Scrapteropsis) imitatrix
A. (Scrapteropsis) morrisonella
A. (Simandrena) nasonii
A. (Thysandrena) bisalicis
A. (Thysandrena) candida
A. (Trachandrena) ceanothi
A. (Trachandrena) forbesii
A. (Trachandrena) hippotes
A. (Trachandrena) mariae
A. (Trachandrena) rugosa
A. (Trachandrena) salicifloris
A. (Trachandrena) sigmundi
A. (Trachandrena) zionensis
A. (Tylandrena) perplexa
COLLETIDAE
Colletes thoracicus
HALICTIDAE
Agapostemon sericeus [=radiatus]
A. texanus
Augochlora p. pura
Augochlorella striata
Dialictus apopkensis
D. bruneri
D. coeruleus
D. cressonii
D. imitatus
D. laevissimus
D. lineatulus
D. nigroviridis
D. p. pilosus
D. punctatoventris
D. rohweri
D. versans
D. versatus
D. viridatus
D. zephyrus
Evylaeus cinctipes
E. comagenensis
E. foxii
E. rufitarsis
E. truncatus
Halictus c. confusus
H. rubicundus (the greatest bee in the world ;-)
APIDAE
Ceratina calcarata
C. dupla

Doug Yanega      Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 E. Peabody Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA     phone (217) 244-6817, fax (217) 333-4949