HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
GORDON POLLARD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 09:25:48 -0500
        Jay Stottman raises some important questions about the National
Bottle Museum and its participation in Listerine's contest for finding the
oldest Listerine bottles.  I would like to provide the following information:

First, the National Bottle Museum in Ballston Spa, not far from Saratoga
Springs, is a state-recognized and chartered non-profit museum aimed at
providing public education on bottles and their historical significance.
It is a relatively small operation, but its collections, exhibits and library
are an increasingly popular resource for the public at large.  The museum's
director and president, Jan Rutland, is one of the most dedicated and capable
people I have ever met, and she is extremely concerned about promoting an
interest in bottles as historical artifacts.  I first became familiar with
the Museum when Jan called me several years ago to see if I would give a
public talk at the museum on the research I was doing on Plattsburgh, N.Y.,
embossed bottles.  I have now given two such presentations at the museum and
have become a contributing member in full support of its activities.

As far as the Listerine bottle hunt, I quote the following from the July/
August 1994 issue of the Bottle Museum's newsletter:
        "The makers of Listerine are introducing a new plastic product
        container.  In the process, they are calling attention to the historical
           significance of their original glass containers.  A search is under
        way to locate a few of the oldest Listerine bottles.  Cash prizes
        will be awarded and the bottles themselves will be presented to the
        Smithsonian, along with appropriate advertising materials.  The
        National Bottle Museum has agreed to accept and sort photographs of
        potential winners, and will determine the finalists."  It is also
noted that members of the National Bottle Museum and their families are not
eligible to participate.

It is important to note that the following editorial comment is added in
boldface on the same page as the above:
        "ARTIFACT vs. COMMODITY / VALUE vs. PRICE
        Reasons for collecting antique bottles are many and varied.  The fine
line separating "collector" from "dealer" also separates "artifact" from
"commodity."  An old Listerine bottle may not be rare enough to be considered
a valuable commodity in the "colecting market," but from a museum's point of
view, the real value of this or any antique bottle lies in the history that it
represents.  Ignore the history that an artifact represents and it becomes a
commodity, no matter what it personally represents to the collector.  A museum
is an educational institution.  Its first responsibility is to deal in the
history represented by artifacts, rather than their current market value."

I hope this information helps speak to some of Jay's concerns. There are lots
of issues that could be meaningfully explored further, but I think it is clear
that the National Bottle Museum in NOT promoting the looting or destruction
of historic sites in order to find old bottles that offer some monetary reward.

Dr. Gordon Pollard
Department of Anthropology
SUNY Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh, New York 12901