From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 17:46:47 -0700
You will have to find the old queen and kill her or else the workers will kill
the new queen.  Everyone has their own favorite method of requeening so here is
mine.  I find and kill the old queen and remove her from the hive. I then take
the cork out of the candy end of the queen cage and place the cage face down on
the topbars.  Invert the inner cover on the hive to make room for the cage  put
the cover on and do not disturb for 4 days. Then check to see if the new queen
has been released.  If she has then check the hive to see if there are eggs
present. If you find eggs close the hive check again at your normal interval for
working the hive.  at this time you may wish to locate the queen just to see
her.  If the queen has not been released, observe how the bees are acting toward
her.  If they are still biting the cage and acting aggressive then look for
queen cells. The bees may be rejecting her and are trying to raise they own. If
they are feeding the new queen through the wire of the cage, they are probably
accepting her and you can release her directly into the hive.

If there is no nectar flow on feed 1 to 1 syrup to enhance acceptance.  Also
when I receive my new queens I sometimes place the new queen on top of a super
that has a queen excluder under it.  I leave her there for the young workers to
feed and keep warm for a few days before killing the old queen.  I have found
that sometimes helps if I'm having trouble  getting a queen accepted.

Like I said everyone has their favorite method and you will probably hear a lot
of them.  Just pick one you like and try it. Most will work this time of year.

Frank Humphrey