HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Salter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:14:02 +0000
Try iron carbonate, or ferrous carbonate. The modern mineral name is
siderite, old mineral names chalybite, Spathose iron.

It is a common mineral.

Having done a bit of blacksmithing myself, I would be interested in the
flux used. I have used fine silica sand which works well, and nothing
which also works on the 19th century puddled iron I was using.

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Early American Museum wrote:

> I'm trying to find the up-to-date and common name for a compound which was
> called "Carbonate of Iron" around the turn of this century.  Chemical
> reference books at the local library refer to iron carbonate as a less
> common, after iron oxides, iron ore so it may be that carbonate of iron is a
> fairly frequently occurring mineral.  I have encountered it in a c. 1900
> blacksmith's document as an ingredient in welding flux which leads me to
> believe it is/was not terribly exotic.  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Charles M. Keller
> Collections Manager

Yours
Chris Salter    University of Oxford.
E-mail:         [log in to unmask]

Snail-mail Address for Archaeo-materials
        The Research Laboratory for Archaeology
                & History of Art,
        6 Keble Road, Oxford, OX1 3QJ
        Tel 01865 273728 or 515211