HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
mehrer mark w <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mehrer mark w <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 21:22:45 -0600
        I am currently analyzing and interpreting an 1830s site in northern
Illinois that has several of the root cellar features tightly clustered in a
 patterned
arrangement that would fit under a house floor.  Included is a larger
cellar (ca 2 x 4 m) unlike the smaller, shallower cellars in question.  I
will be glad to share more particulars about these features and the
assemblage recovered from them.  Please direct inquiries to me and I'll
respond as best I can.  What I need is a lead into the literature that
treats these root cellars.  Dan has suggested that much has already been
written about them.
        The site I am working on is an isolated "cabin" on the banks of
the Rock River near Grand Detour, Ill.  There was a trader's cabin across
the river in the early 1800s and an Indian village nearby, according to
historical documents.  The trader's cabin is also known
archaeologically.
        Any leads on the literature will be appreciated and any inquiries
will be answered as well as possible.  Thanks.
        --Mark Mehrer
          Department of Anthropology
          Northern Illinois University
          DeKalb, IL 60115