From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 17:04:30 +0100
Up to now all replies to Myron Van de Ven's original question have
accepted that the problem is genetic.  This may well be true but it
seems to me the implication is that the problem has arisen this year.
I.e., last year the temper of the bees was OK.  Look at exactly what
was said:-

> Both hives are going very strong and I go through
> the hives weekly to find the queen cells so they don't swarm.  I have
> notices that one of the hives is much more aggressive to my presence than
> the other hive.

Myron, are you cutting out queen cells to prevent swarming?  If so, this
is probably the cause of the bad temper.  It may be worth cutting out
cells once or twice in case the bees decide to stop making swarm
preparations.  (At least I've read that it can work, although my bees
certainly aren't that easily discouraged.  Once they've decided to swarm
their mind is made up.)  However it's a very bad long term swarm control
technique because you're continually frustrating the bees instincts.  I
tried it once, just to see what happened.  Swarm preparations started in
May and by July I was still cutting out queen cells and the temper of
the colony was appalling.  In the end I made an artificial swarm and
before long both the new colonies were back to usual.

My preferred method of swarm control, once preparations have started, is
artificial swarming.  It's simple and very appropriate for small scale
beekeepers.  I only ever cut queen cells if I discover them unexpectedly
and don't have the time or the equipment to hand, in which case I return
within a few days with another hive.  Invariably I find more cells have
been created.

> The question I have as a new-comer is Can I do something, or am I doing
> something to rile up one have and not the other?

If you're cutting queen cells, presumably just in one hive, then stop
and do something else.  If not, then the problem is genetic and
re-queening is in order.

> Did I also read in
> another Bee-l that the bees leave a pheremone  or something on the gloves
> when they sting and therefore are prone to sting there again?

That is correct.  Even if I'm wearing gloves I scrape off the sting and
puff some smoke over the site.  The smoke seems to mask the smell.

--
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000