From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 1995 08:57:14 -0600
On Fri, 30 Jun 1995, Gordon Scott wrote:

> David Morris writes:
>
> > I have a friend in England who has discovered a bumblebee nest in a rubbish
> > heap in her backyard.  I told her about Slayden's book, "The Humble Bee", and
> > suggested she get the book and make this her daughter's science project.
> >  Let's hope she likes the idea.  She is concerned that they may become a
> > nuisance later.  Plus, they are in a heap of yard trash which she may
> > eventually consider unsightly.
>
> No problem, they will disperse later in the year anyway, so  if  they're
> not an actual problem now, watch & enjoy.
>

> > Question:  Can she move this nest easily?
>
> They can be dug out (Sladen describes it).  They make a lot of fuss  but
> don't  *tend*  to  sting.  They probably should be moved a mile of so at
> minimum.  They can be put into a mini-hive about 8inch cube with a small
> hole (1/2 inch) in one face. Again Sladen describes some designs.

Instead of moving away a long distance and then back, I should assume,
that if they are like honeybees, that it would suffice to put the new home
right where the entrance to the old location was.  When they have learned
to use the new entrance, proceed to move the box a foot the first day,
several feet the second and even more on subsequent days, until it is
where you want it.

Once they recognise the new home and learn that it moves, they will find
it. (I think - I know honeybees do.)

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka