HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:55:42 +1000
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               International Histroical Archaeology

It is good to see that there is some life in historical archaology reported in
the UK. It would be very interesting to take a look at particular research
problems on a global level as there are well known links between the various
countrys that you dont have to be Wallenstien to figure out (just borrow an
old atlas and look at which countries are pink).

For part of my doctoral research I have been looking at the "cult of
domesticity" which seems to have occured in the Victorian age rether than just
being focused on Victoria's subjects. I know Adrian has published on domestic
ideology in Sacremento and I am sure there are others looking at this
phenomena and a meeting of minds might be very usefull and stimulating.

The challange would be in the development of comparitive theory and
methodology.  As someone in an earlier post said Mark Leone might not be the
only theorist in histoircal archaeology but it seems that his and Deetz's work
is at least looking at an international change rather than a local change.

Another aspect of archaeology is the contribution that maritime archaeology
might make. If Dan wants a tightly dated site with ceramics, a good shipwreck
might be the answer.

Iain Stuart