HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:53:03 -0400
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   [log in to unmask] (Lynne Sebastian)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask] (Multiple recipients of list)
Date: 96-08-26 15:35:42 EDT

Thank you to everyone who sent me information, references, anecdotes,
etc., about dealing with  possible deadly microbes while
doing archaeology -- especially to Mike Polk who forwarded my request to
the historical archaeology list, which got lots of responses.  I have
forwarded all the responses to the company that asked the question.

Just to clear things up -- it wasn't that it didn't occur to us to ask
this question to health professionals (CDC, etc.) rather than
archaeologists.  My experience has been that if you ask experts in other
fields you generally get recommendations that need to be adapted to the
specific needs of archaeology.  Example:  an OSHA inspector once told me
that I needed to shore up the walls of an exploratory trench by
covering them continuously with plywood.  I explained that the whole
point of the trench was so we could observe and record the profiles, so
continuous plywood walls might be a teensy problem. He didn't care.

I was hoping that, by asking the question to archaeologists, I would be
able to find some folks who had already gone through the step of figuring
out how to adapt the advice of health professionals to something that
didn't conflict with archaeological methods but still enabled the
archaeological practitioner to live through the experience.

Anyway, thanks a bunch (Mike -- please pass this on the the HIST-ARCH
folks).

Lynne Sebastian