HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Edward Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 20:07:19 EST
OSHA claims that it is turning over a new leaf, consulting rather than
assaulting employers. How about getting OSHA to do a session at SHA or some
regional meetings? Of course, they probably are not currently in business.

McCarthy's experience with the collapsing sandy soil is hardly unique. We had a
similar experience this summer in clay soil. Any soil is treacherous, and should
be excavated only with extreme care. There is a concept called "angle of repose"
among engineers, which essentially is the angle of a slope where a landslide
won't happen.

The real solution to the problem is the Gradall.  Dig the whole site except for
the deep features, like wells and privies. Then bring in the Gradall and cut
away the surrounding matrix. You can sculpt the site to suit your working needs,
with wheelbarrow ramps and all. It's really great to photograph a well profile
from 20 feet away, etc.

Now that I've used this approach, I'll never go back to the old dangerous way
again.