HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 09:02:51 -0330
I am currently working with a team of planners, historians, landscape
architects and archaeologists to develop a site development master plan
for the site of the Colony of Avalon, established in 1621 by Sir George
Calvert, First Baron Baltimore. His second son, Leonard, subsequently
became the first Governor of Maryland, and hence the historical
connection between Ferryland and St. mary's City in Maryland. The site is
located on the eastern coast of Canada, in the province of Newfoundland,
in the small (pop 720) community of Ferryland. The community is very much
involved in the development of the site, from the preservation of the
archaeological resources and in promotion of the site as a tourism
attraction. The archaeological resources of this site are extensive, and
cover several distinct historical periods. This past summer, evidence of
Beothuck Indians was also discovered, something that had been suspected
for some time. Ongoing archaeology will be a big part of the attraction
and interpretation of the site.

Part of our research includes recommending appropriate interpretation of
the site, keeping in mind the sensitivities of the community, the
capacity of the site to accommodate visitors, a design which takes into
account the potential for future archaeological work and an
organizational structure for developing and operating the site. We ahve
already been in touch with a number of similar sites elsewhere, but are
looking for specific contacts for two other sites that we have heard of.
These are:

Strawberry Bank in Boston
Wanuskewin in Saskatchewan

Can anyone on this list provide me with any contacts in for these sites?

We are looking for models for organization and management of
archaeological sites particularly those that involve community -based
groups or partnerships between such groups and government agencies. We
are also looking for leading edge examples of interpretation of
archaeological sites, as well as successful examples of incorporating
active archaeology into site interpretation.

I would appreciate any assistance that anyone on the list could provide and
I would be happy to share our experience with anyone out there who is
interested.

Mary Bishop