From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 00:22:00 GMT
 UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8
Date:         Tue, 24 Jan 1995 20:56:22 -0600
From: Doug Yanega <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Asian bee introduction -Reply

Apologies for my error here. Though I still have qualms about introducing
exotic congeners, if there is no evidence one way or the other, I suppose
the scientific grounds for my objections aren't substantial - though I'd
still maintain that quarantine procedures and testing are warranted in suc
cases. I realize that habitat destruction is probably a greater threat to
native bees than exotic bees, but I'm not in a position to stop habitat
destruction (much as I wish otherwise).
 TMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM>

  Doug, I think you were 100% right in asking about the introductions
of any exotic species. One thing that seems to be missing in many of
these introductions is the public input through environmental impact
hearing and reports. It all handled in house so to speak so that anyone
public comment is held to a minimum.

  We had some well meaning do good'ers in California introduce a weevil
to control Black Sage, all on the QT, and more recently another weevil
to control Yellow Star Thistle, both of these introduction have not and
will not in our ten lifetimes do anymore then make these plants less
productive for honey bee's and insects of all kinds and a real eye-sore
in the case of the Yellow Star Thistle to the public.

  More time then not the good ideas of some academics or regulatory
authorities do not stand the test of the "light of the day" or the
"common sense test" because they do every thing on the edge of the law
to have as little public input as possible.

  The Black Sage that produces much Honey in favorable years is more
important for natures way of stabilizing hill sides, which is quite
evident in wild fire areas that are shown on national TV every time it
rains in souther California. As for the Yellow Star Thistle, how anyone
can believe that a plant that is infested with seed weevils and a
half sickly unsightly mess each year and of little value to honey bees
and other insects is a advantage to anyone or anything but in someone's
sick perverted mind.
                        ttul Andy-

- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l --
 l l Wild Bee's BBS l l       Beekeeping Information Service
BBS 209/826-8107 28.8 bd   INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l -- l l --