From:
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 21:31:58 -0700
Hi:  Andy is upset with me for suggesting nets.  I agree, for short hauls
it is a mute point.  Lots of effort and additional cost, when the bees
obviously drift and visit nearby yards, etc.

My comment and the Montana beekeepers failed resolution - note I said
resolution "to advise" netting, not law, reg, requirement - just advise
- had to do with semi-loads running across the state.  MT does not
require nets and I90 runs right through the middle of the state with
beekeepers moving long distance hauls from CA to MN.  Many of those
trucks can be seen sitting in truck stops without nets -  and MT
beekeepers have apiaries nearby.  Seems reasonable not to drive through a
state adding more bees all along, especially since some of our
non-migratory beekeepers still have low levels or little evidence of mites.

Seems to me this is simple professional courtesy.  Seems also to make
some sense.

As for Allen's closed van, when the University is short of trucks - which
is most of the time and mine is tied up - usually moving bees, we have
had to use a Travelall or a stretch passenger van.  Not my idea of a fun
time, driving down the highway with the "leakers" in the cab with you.
No thanks, I bought a King Cab pickup just so that I, the crew, and our
fragile computer gear stay nice and dry and separated from our friends
riding in the box in back.

Cheers,  Jerry

P.S.  I will see if I can run Quinn to ground, he was heading to graduate
school last spring.  If I find him and his paper, I will ask about
posting it to the net.