HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. Jay Stottman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 17:13:51 EDT
Gordon or anyone interested,
   I don't know if you can use this information, but I did some preliminary
research on Louisville Fire Brick Co. in Louisville, Kentucky.  The company
was started in Louisville in 1888 and still produces fire brick today.  Before
the company moved to Louisville from Carter Co. Ky. where they had been in
business since 1880.  I do not know the extent of their distribution but their
peak production was 26 millon bricks a year in the early 20th century.  This
company is listed in the Gurke book.  I hope this will help you.  I am also
interested in any information on bricks in general.  Recently, I documented a
turn of the century brick kiln in Maysville, Ky. and I have been following the
kiln discussion.  Unfortunately, I am quite busy with classes and have done
very little research on that project.  I will be glad to pass on any info
when I get a chance.

M. Jay Stottman
University of Kentucky