HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Clement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:55:59 -0400
Hi all--

I'm looking for references and other information relating to locally
produced coinage.  Specifically, working on slave sites on the Caribbean
island of Tobago, I've encountered several copper "wafers" stamped with the
initials "TB" above a lower case "o" which I believe are monetary
equivalent tokens--locally produced coins.  None have been recovered from
estate house or factory locations.  The two villages at which I've
encountered these artifacts were both occupied from about 1765 until
shortly after emancipation.  One token appears to be made on a coin dating
to 1789, but in size and shape is similar to the others, which have no
indication that they are on coins.  Measurements are 2-2.2cm in diameter
and less than 2mm thick.

Has anyone encountered these artifacts or artifacts like them?

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher Ohm Clement, Ph.D.
South Carolina Institute of