HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 1994 12:30:11 -0700
     I have to disagree with Bill. I can do all the things set out in the SOPA
certification, but I don't have an MA in Anthropology (I've got one in Library
Science). Does this mean that I am not a historical archaeologist? Nonsense.
     First off, historical archaeology is the archaeology of European
expansion (at least in this country), not the archaeology of literate peoples.
I consider the Mayans and the Aztecs to be literate, but historical
archaeologists don't do that type of work.
     Secondly, who is SOPA anyways? Just because someone has a degree doesn't
mean that they can do archaeology any better than someone else.
     And, finally, Tom, what is the "new" historical archaeology? I have been
to the last several SHA meetings, and don't recall anything on this. If you
mean that people are starting to discover that using the documents is as
valuable as digging, then that's all for the better, and is something that
should be emphasized, although not to the extent of phasing everything else
out.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
INTERNET: [log in to unmask] Owner: HISTARCH