HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christine Flaherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 11:25:49 -0500
On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, JAMES SYMONDS wrote:

> The Department of Archaeology at Sheffield (UK) has been asked  to
> excavate  and display a  French eighteenth century formal garden in Thailand.
> Does anyone know ofpublished work on  comparable  sites in Asia?  Does
> anyone have any suggestions as to sources, or to interesting gardens excavated
>  in North Amerca?

Mark Leone's work on the William Paca garden in Annapolis comes to mind
first.  There's also some other material in the Kelso and Most book.
There is also supposed to be a formal garden at Jamestown, Virginia, but
I don't think it's been excavated yet (and I'm not sure if they think
that it did indeed exist).

Kelso, William M. and Rachel Most, eds.
  1989  Earth Patterns: Archaeology of Early American and Ancient
    Gardens and Landscapes. Charlottesville, Va: University of Virginia.

Leone, Mark P.
  1984  Interpreting Ideology in Historical Archaeology: Using the
    Rules of Perspective in the William Paca Garden in Annapolis,
    Maryland. In Ideology, Power, and Prehistory. Christopher Tilley
    and Daniel Miller, eds. Pp. 25-35. Cambridge: Cambridge University
    Press.

  1988  The Georgian Order as the Order of Merchant Capitalism in
    Annapolis. In The Recovery of Meaning. Mark P. Leone and Parker
    Potter, Jr, eds. Pp. 235-261. Washington: Smithsonian Institution
    Press.

  1988  The Relationship Between the Archaeological Data and the
    Documentary Record: Eighteenth Century Gardens in Annapolis,
    Maryland.  Historical Archaeology 22(1):29-35.

Leone, Mark P. and Paul A. Shackel
  1989  Plane and Solid Geometry in Colonial Gardens in Annapolis,
    Maryland. In Earth Patterns: Archaeology of Early American and
    Ancient Gardens and Landscapes. William M. Kelso, ed.
    Charlottesville, Va: University of Virginia.

--Christine Flaherty
Columbia University