HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 11:06:16 -0400
Kimberly Figures inquires:

> Greetings,
>
> This is my first posting to this list.  I am a contract conservator who is
> presently working on a number of coins recovered from a 17th century site.
>  Before treatment can commence, the coins need to be identified.  I have
> run up against a brick wall when it comes to one lead "token".  It is
> possible that this "token" is actually a "bail seal".  I have been
> unsuccessful at locating a source that provides descriptions of various
> impressions on these seals.  Can anyone suggest a possible source or
> sources that I may consult?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated,
>

> Kimberly Figures
> Archaeological Conservator
> Ottawa, Ontario

Kimber> [log in to unmask]

Kimberly,

I'd bet the family farm you have a bale seal. They're pretty common
in Virginia Colonial sites. 17th-c seals are frequently marked with
the town of origin--Augsburg being pretty common. I've also
recovered examples with the harp and crown of Ireland. Bronze or
brass "tokens," or jettons are pretty common, and there were some
English lead tokens, but bale seals are much more common finds. They
sealed bales of fabric, certifying their origin, quality, etc.  I
kinow of no single source, but a really good one is Faulkner's
Pentogoet report.  Good luck.

Dan Mouer