HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karl Steinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 07:34:14 -0400
Anita

Unfortunately I disagree that the access to records and live people
really sets HA apart.  It gives you a distinct advantage an extra step
forward but it really does not make you different.  I had a couple of
courses from Chuck Fairbanks and many classes with people who were
primarily interested in HA.  We all generally saw the system as a
continuum.  My ideal site would be a multi-occupation that goes from
Woodland through 19th. century (hopefully with a few gaps).  It would be
a lot of fun to look at changing adaptation patterns etc.  One part of the
work would include written records, the other none.  Big deal here, it is
the problems that we address that drive our work and inquiry.  HA can
address problems that PA cannot.  This is what makes it fun.

Karl Steinen