HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Irwin Rovner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 13:44:17 EST
Sad to say, one of the reasons historical archaeology jobs are scarce
is due to the fact that academic jobs for archaeologists as a whole
is pretty bad.  However, if you read the Anthropology Newsletter job
announcements, Chronicle of Higher Education, et al. you will find a
few - too few to be sure - that specify historic period archaeology.
As a useful (I hope) hint, my university advertised for an applied
historian in our history dept - one of the qualifications explicitly
solicited (among others) was an archaeology specialty.  You had to
read the fine print to find it, but it was there.  A little more
intensive survey may prove successful, i.e. checking collateral names
like "American Studies" and "Applied History", etc.  Or maybe I am
only telling you what you already know.

Irv Rovner

P.S. Please do not send me your CV.  Sorry, I sympathize with the
desperation of job searching, but we are not hiring...in fact, I've
actively sought a job change for some years now myself.