From:
Gerard Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:34:47 -0400
On Mon, 3 Apr 1995, Andreas Kasenides wrote:

> Since some fellows are discussing smoke producing techniques I
> would really like to hear from people that have considerable
> experience what is their favourite smoke producing agent?
>
> Or am I just asking something that is a standard?
>
> Thanks
> Andreas

 Some more inputs on smoke:
 Some folks in Maryland use ground up corn cobs (maize) as a long lasting
smoke.

Here's a fun activity for a bee meeting: Have a smoker contest. We have
one every year with some minor variations. Participants provide their own
smoker and favorite smoker fuels. Limitation: cannot use petroleum
products to start or as fuel ( no lighter fluid). about one minute
allowed to get smoker lit. after 5 or 10 minutes, allow a reinforcing
puff on the smoker. Then let sit for half hour. Check for those still
going and rate on most and coolest smoke.If too many still going, half
hour more. try again.
You'd be surprised. The same people don't win year after year. The best
guy/gal may have a complete flameout in that first 5-10 minutes!

Jerry Worrell, Dunkirk,MD,USA
Association of Southern Maryland Beekeepers (ASMB)