From:
Reid Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 09:07:55 -0600
I am a high school biology teacher and also a beekeeping hobbiest (3
hives, one is particularly bad shape).I teach a section of Advanced
Biology to seniors and most of these students are planning to become
biologists. After 8 months of pushing them through the rigors of modern
biochem and genetics and embryology (etc) I like to let them loose on
current research being done in areas  that I am interested in.
Naturally, that's bees.
We are currently looking at 2 problems:
1) What frequencies of sound can bees detect?
2) Population genetics and evolution of bees with particular interest in
changes in the enzyme malate dehydrogenase (MDH)in bee populations
throughout the world.
Last year we made some progress on the sound problem but ran into some
technical difficulties which led us to doubt our results.
We are very interested in hearing from anyone who can point us to methods
of operant conditioning in bees: our main problems were in the areas of
holding them down during training, possible stimulus-response methods and
sound delivery systems.
If anyone can offer help, we would really appreciate it.
My e-mail address is [log in to unmask]
Thanks,
Reid Walker