HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 1995 00:46:21 -0700
   It has just occurred to me that one of the drawbacks with the mailing list
idea (such as NAUTARCH) is that one is not free to post items to the group.
   HISTARCH uses the LISTSERV program, where a computer receives and posts
messages to the subscribers. The NAUTARCH group has a human (or humans) that
do this function. Since all messages must go through a person, I assume that
any posts that might question the qualifications of said person would probably
be squelched.
   For example, if I were to send out a message pointing out that the
listowner of NAUTARCH does not have a degree in archaeology (he has a Ph.D. in
microbiology), and has never (to my knowledge) published any reports in the
field, such a message would, in all likelihood, be stopped before it made the
NAUTARCH list. I would hope that this assumption is wrong, but the idea does
open some sticky loopholes in the Net.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
INTERNET: [log in to unmask]   Owner: HISTARCH