HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrew Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 12:03:48 +1000
Mail*Link=AE SMTP               RE>NRMA

Anita asked:
NRMA is the Australian equivalent of our AAA here in the U.S. Does anyone
know what the initials stand for?

The initials stand for National Roads and Motorist's Association, but it =
is not National - it only functions in NSW. The other states all have =
their own organisations, mostly called 'Automobile Club' and including =
the name of the State; eg: VAC in Victoria and RAC of SA (Royal Auto. =
Club of South Australia). The first and most exclusive such organisation =
was the Royal Automobile Club of Australia established in Sydney in 1903 =
it still exists and is still very exclusive so the NRMA is the service =
organisation theat everyone belongs to.

This and other bits of transport trivia can be found in "Going Places: A =
Pictorial History of Transport in NSW" which I wrote with a couple of =
friends in 1988.

Andrew Wilson
Archaeology
University of Sydney